Monday, January 31, 2011

Dragon Oil Painting - Continued


In lieu of last night's Livestreaming session I have taken a photograph of the painting in full daylight to get a better idea of what the work done actually was.

In previous photos the clouds are much different. We have since added different lighting, and changed the saturation to better reflect the lighting that was intended to be happening. Purple lightning is extremely saturated I found out after actually hunting down reference photos to work from. I also added the top of the anvil cloud in the far background. That's what was bothering me about it before, and doing that helped to add a sense of depth to the sky. I then was able to unify the lighting in the rest of the image, adding a mixture of Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Payne's Grey and Titanium white for the hills in the distance.

The nearer rocks have the same basic colors, but with a touch of raw umber added as well to add a slightly warmer tone. I still need to add small details such as gravel and smaller rocks/shrubs/trees etc to the foreground, but I am liking this painting more now that I was able to fix some glaring errors that were throwing me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment